Friday, November 13, 2015

God is Everything (or, random musings on Friday night)

I've been taking an OT messages class through BJU online this semester. I've been really enjoying it and there is a lot I could share, but tonight I just have one thought that has stood out while we are studying the prophetic books. And that is

God is Everything.

And I don't just mean He is everything to me, or everything I need. He is all that, but even though that tiny part of Him seems so huge to us, from our view point, it is nothing compared to the fact that

 He really is Everything.

He is in every atom, every quark(I learned about those in Sunday School, incidentally. They are smaller than atoms!), He literally makes up the building blocks of the most elementary of matter. And not just on the Earth we know but throughout the entire unfathomable Universe!! Everything is in and by Him. It's completely unbelievable- and yet the only believable option for creation. I once heard that scientists have come to realize that in the most 'basic' parts of what comprises atoms, there is an amount of power completely out of proportion to the size of the parts. I forget what the ratio was but it was amazing. I think it was in a film called "God of Wonders' but I'm sure that if you looked it up you could find out more.

Not only is Everything comprised by Him, Everything is contained in Him. Here I want to be careful, because I've only just been thinking about this part and haven't studied it yet, but this was my thought of the night. God contains everything- even Evil. That kind of threw me off for a second but if you think about it it works. A bowl can completely contain water- but it isn't water. And the water(unless it's a odd kind of bowl I guess) can't change a thing about the bowl, or do anything outside of the bowl. The metaphor can kind of break down, the water could spill or something like that, but you get the basic picture(I have a bad habit of way stretching and overthinking metaphors). So even though God is Good, and in Him is no darkness at all, He still completely contains and controls the Evil. Darkness is just the absence of light; light dies and darkness comes, but light can't really die to dark, the dark is subject to the rising of the light.

I'm really just musing here, and I don't know if this makes sense, but I was thinking about it and decided to just write it down and throw it out there. And it's nothing too original either, but when something becomes bigger to you personally it seems new. I was also just reading the first chapter of 'The Attributes of God' by A.W. Tozer, and it was talking about His Infinitude, and I think that started my wheels spinning too. (Tozer is an awesome author by the way, I've read 'The Pursuit of God' and now I'm going to read 'The Attributes', and I just have loved everything I've read of his so far. He definitely ranks alongside C.S. Lewis, for me.)

Another thing I was thinking about is how sometimes people say God contradicts Himself, or seems to change. In a God who is Everything, contradictions just don't work. He can be both Mercy and Justice without clashing, because He is God. It's absolutely mind blowing and really makes a lot of things seems a bit small. I think I'm going to go to bed, because it's stretching my brain!! I hope you enjoy just a random bit of rambling...

Also, keep the people of Paris in your prayers, in case you aren't already. What a frightening time for them... but, Everything is under control. Even if to us it doesn't look it. but that makes the situation none the less sad, I feel so for the families who have lost loved ones, and I can't even imagine how terrifying it must be to be held hostage... I hope- I know- God will use this for His purpose somehow, though.
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for adding your thoughts- please keep them clean and respectful and if possible uplifting. If you have a difference in belief or opinion you'd like to discuss, I'd be happy to, but again, I request you refrain from bad language or similar offensive messages. Thank you.