Wednesday, September 16, 2015

//les miserables//

I love Les Miserables.
The book, the musical(25th anniversary concert, is all I'll say), and even the newest film, though I have some issues with, well, most of the casting. I own an old French film version that I've yet to watch, but I can't wait to watch that as well.

The beauty and humanity of the story, the themes of redemption and love, and the drama and realism of the characters.. (I haven't yet read more of Victor Hugo's work, but I'm planning on it. The Disney film of "The Hunchback of Notre-dame" has made me want to read the book, although I know it's much darker.)

And Enjolras and the others don't harm anything either.

"Do you hear the people sing? 
Singing the songs of angry men,
 It is the music of a people 
who will not be slaves again! 
When the beating of your heart
echoes the beating of the drums, 
there is a life about to start
when tomorrow comes!"



Fantine's story is so tragic but true. And although it seems far removed, a story of the past, my heart breaks when I think of the women even today who- through, yes, their own poor choice, much of the time, just like Fantine- are put in the same position. And even though it often is their own fault, does that make it any less sad? I often try not to think about human trafficking- the horror of it is too real and as a young woman myself, a little too close to home in it's fearfulness. But if we turn away, who will help them? I pray that God will someday use me to help those in literal bondage...


"There was a time when men were kind
When their voices were soft
and their words inviting,
There was a time when love was blind,
and the world was a song
and the song was exciting
there was a time....
then it all 
went
     wrong..."

And of course, Cosette and Marius' heartwarming love story. So maybe, in the musical especially, it seems a little... silly. But when you think about it, particularly if you've read the book, their story is a beautiful example of pure, true love. I don't know about you, but when I read Solomon's example of a courtship (Song of Solomon 1-2), I don't see perfectly planned outings and strict rules. Nor do I see immoral, halfhearted dating around with whoever strikes you at the moment.

 I see two people whom God has brought into love, sitting in a garden, talking heart to heart about their love and coming marriage and their deep love for each other. It's beautiful. We shouldn't forget that God ordained love, between the two hearts of a man and a woman. We shouldn't be scared of it, any more than we should cheapen it. Our society has distorted love, but I fear we Christians either go with that flow, or in our proper fear of it distort love too far in the other direction.

Love in the end is just a gift, another picture of Himself that God placed in creation to remind us of who and what He is.

And then there is beautiful Marius-in the book he is a lovely thing, much more so than in the musical-Eponine's selfless love, Jean Valjean of course and his amazing redemption, Javert and his dilemma of justice and grace, The Friends of the ABC and their vision for a better future...

So these are just a few of the reasons I love Les Miz. And you'll probably see more of it in future posts. But for now, 

"Remember the truth that once was spoken- To love another person is to see the face of God."

all artwork original by myself
lyrics from 'Les Miserables'

8 comments:

  1. I've read Les mis! =) 1200 page book, people. I actually skipped a few of the horribly long horribly boring lectures, but more of it I read. I never watched any version of any movie or musical. I don't want my impression of it ruined. I did listen to the audio drama and loved it. The whole book has an awesome plot and an awesome ending. In the book, Eponine is a total brat, and in the musical I've heard she is a good character. Confuses me. I would recommend listening to the audio by Focus on the Family, I really enjoyed that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesss I read it on kindle and now I have a huge hardcover version! I read all of it but I did skim some of that... I go back and periodically re read them now. The one on the French sewer system...eh well I haven't reread that one;) there are some beautiful passages hidden here and there in the rambling sections! I understand that.... I listened to the music first and loved it, and went from there... It gives me a good rounded view and coming to the book with a basic view of the story made it easier to read. Some characters in the book are much better then they are in the musical. Really?!! I love Eponine in both, I feel so much for her and I think she is a more complex character than she's even given credit for! I can see why you could say that though. She's less heroic and much much more utterly tragic in the book as compared to the musical. Oh I really want to get that! I've had my eye on it for a long time:) thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, to some people she might be ok. =) She did save Marius' life a couple times and I did feel sorry for her (in a way), but it seemed more like she was doing it for her own selfish purposes. I can't really blame her, having read her life's story, but she never was my favorite character. I have a friend who watched the musical and never read the book and we are continually trying to convince each other that our opinion of Eponine is right. LOL. That is probably where I got my strong opinions from. I saw a pic of her from the musical and I thought she was really pretty, if nothing else. =) Oh, that sewer system!! That....nearly killed me. I did read some of it but not nearly all. I can't imagine reading the book on kindle. I got it at a bookstore and read the huge fat hardcover. I can never stick with anything on kindle. I tried reading David Copperfield on there once. I made it 60% of the way through and gave up of boredom. There is something more satisfying about a genuine paper book to me. I do like a lot of classics, but that one had me winded. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing, your is artwork is AMAZING!!! The one of Cosette especially. I saved that one. =) And I agree with you about the love between Marius and Cosette. There is something so genuine about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the reader, for sure. I tend to love tragic characters like that. She is so pretty and has an amazing voice!!! haha I know right? I hope they fixed it some for his sake lol! I love my kindle but longer books aren't as great. You can't see your progress(or look smart with a huge book XD) I have managed a few that I just really wanted to read and couldn't get... I read all of Moby Dick on my kindle! That was a long haul!

      Delete
    2. Oh, thank you!! I'm so glad:) Yes it's beautiful and pure but realistic. Love it. The section of Marius' writing to Cosette is one of my favorite chapters<3

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love tragic characters as a whole, actually. I give all the characters in my books the most heart wrenching backgrounds that exist (and then sit back and grin). I've never read Moby Dick. I keep eyeing it at libraries but it looks SOOOO long and frankly, uninteresting, that I haven't read it yet. I keep trying Charles Dickens but most of them I haven't read the entire way through. I read Oliver Twist and really genuinely loved it. So I kept trying other of his books but to me none are nearly as interesting. =( And I know what you mean about looking smart with a huge book, I gloried in that while I was reading Les Miserables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm tragedy. I adore it. I don't always give mine too much tragedy... the more I love them the worse I treat them(as witness, you know a little about Francis, and he has my undying true love). I actually loved it, but it would be easily boring. I somehow managed to get interested in the whales. Yes I love Dickens! A Tale of Two Cities is my favorite of his and actually on my all time favorite list! Oh yes haha that is the best of feelings.

      Delete

Thank you for adding your thoughts- please keep them clean and respectful and if possible uplifting. If you have a difference in belief or opinion you'd like to discuss, I'd be happy to, but again, I request you refrain from bad language or similar offensive messages. Thank you.