Monday, May 16, 2016

// the quote tag pt. 2//

Well I had an amazing Tolkien quote picked out, however my internet is acting up so I couldn't get the photo. Hopeful tomorrow.

'Now Faith… is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods. For moods will change, whatever view your reason takes. I know that by experience. Now that I am a Christian I do have moods in which the whole thing looks very improbable: but when I was an atheist I had moods in which Christianity looked terribly probable. This rebellion of your moods against your real self is going to come anyway. That is why Faith is such a necessary virtue: unless you teach your moods ‘where they get off’, you can never be either a sound Christian or even a sound atheist, but just a creature dithering to and fro, with its beliefs really dependent on the weather and the state of its digestion. Consequently one must train the habit of Faith.

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity 

This quote is one of the dearest to my own changeable heart. The realization of the truth that it speaks of has totally changed my thinking and brought me a lot of peace. The fact is, our feelings, our 'faith' for that matter, don't mean a thing apart from the God in whom they are placed anyways. If my Faith depended on my 'faith' it wouldn't be worth placing faith in to begin with! 

This full quote is often shortened to the more memorable

'Faith is the art of holding on to things in spite of your changing moods and circumstances.'

Which is in fact the quote I remembered, however upon searching it found the whole thing (which I have read of course but didn't know by heart.) Sadly I don't have a photographic memory. It's one of my greater sorrows to be honest.

Anyways, see you tomorrow for the last installment!
 
Todays tags

Melody @Bloom for Jesus
Abby @ My Favorite Things
Abby @ Chronicles in Bloom

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for tagging me Nina! I can't wait to do this! Oh, and I love that C. S. Lewis quote, because I get those strange moody doubts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! It's just the best quote, he literally can put anything, any feeling even, into thoughtful words that make such sense. I just love him.

      Delete

Thank you for adding your thoughts- please keep them clean and respectful and if possible uplifting. If you have a difference in belief or opinion you'd like to discuss, I'd be happy to, but again, I request you refrain from bad language or similar offensive messages. Thank you.